PB&J Thumbprint Cookies
Adapted from "Cookie Love," by Mindy Segal with Kate Leahy
Take two classics – thumbprint cookies and peanut butter & jelly – put them together and you have a hit on your hands. We recommend Razzle Bazzle or In the Limelight as traditional pairings but Apricot up in the Moment or To Peach His Own are also great. Best enjoyed with a glass of cold milk.
Yield: 40 cookies
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 65 minutes + chilling time
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 extra-large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 cup roasted red-skinned peanuts
- 1 cup Jamnation
- Use beater to mix the butter and both sugars on medium until the butter is light and airy, 3-4 minutes. Add peanut butter and mix on medium until thoroughly combined. Add the egg and vanilla to the butter mixture and mix until the batter starts to resemble cottage cheese.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and both salts.
- Add the dry ingredients all at once to the butter mixture and mix on low until the dough comes together but still looks shaggy, 20 to 30 seconds.
- Stretch out a long sheet of plastic wrap onto a work surface and place the dough on top. Pat the dough into a 6-by-8-inch rectangle and wrap dough with plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse the nuts just until they are finely ground.
- Cut the dough lengthwise into 5 even strips. Roll the strips back and forth into logs to round out the edges and each log is about 9” long. Coat each log in ground nuts.
- Cut each log into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece in ground nuts again to round out the edges, then place the pieces cut-side up on the prepared baking sheet.
- With the tip of your thumb, make an indentation into the center of each cookie and slightly flatten the cookie. Spoon your favorite Jamnation into the center of each thumbprint.
- Bake for 14 minutes, until the cookies begin to crack a bit on the top and are just set.