The very best donuts are hot & fresh – making them yourself ensures you get them straight from the pan. What makes them even better is filling them with delicious jam! This is a recipe from my grandmother that uses premade dough for easy, fast and delicious donuts.
Yield: 8 servings
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- Vegetable oil
- 1 can refrigerated biscuit dough (ex: Pillsbury)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup Jamnation
- Fill deep fryer or heavy saucepan with oil at least 2 ½ inches deep and heat oil to medium heat (375°).
- Separate dough into biscuits, line plate with paper towels and set aside, fill shallow bowl with sugar and set aside.
- Place about 4 biscuits into oil at a time (don’t crowd pan) and fry for 2 ½ minutes until golden brown.
- Flip donuts using tongs or chopsticks and cook for another 2 ½ minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and place on towel-lined plate to absorb extra oil.
- Place donuts one at a time in sugar and coat both sides well with sugar.
- Using the smaller end of a chopstick, make a small hole in the side – move the chopstick around inside the donut to create space to fill with jam.
- Fill a pastry bag with Jamnation (or use a plastic storage bag and cut the tip). Fill the donuts with Jamnation.
- Recoat with sugar if needed and serve immediately.