Adapted from King Arthurs’ Flour
Melt-in-your-mouth, buttery shortbread cookies are topped with your favorite Jamnation flavor for cookies that are both delicious and beautiful. Unlike traditional thumbprint cookies, the jam doesn’t get baked so it maintains our jams’ perfect luscious consistencies. We recommend Apricot Up in the Moment, To Peach His Own, Razzle Bazzle, Rose to the Grindstone or make it your own!
Yield: 25 cookies
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- ½ cup room-temperature butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- ½ cup Jamnation
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment.
- Combine the sugar, butter, salt, and vanilla and almond extracts, beating till smooth.
- Add the flour, again beating till smooth.
- Drop the dough in 1" balls onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 1 1/2" between them; a teaspoon cookie scoop works well here.
- Using the flat bottom of a glass or measuring cup, flatten the balls gently, to about 1/4" thick. Tip: put a damp cloth over the glass so that the dough doesn’t stick.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes, till their edges are just starting to brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, and working quickly, firmly press straight down into their centers, to make a shallow indentation about 1 1/4" across. Tip: a flat bottle lid or other round, flat object about 1 1/4" in diameter or the round top of a pestle works great!
- Dollop 1 level measuring teaspoon of Jamnation into the center of each cookie, spreading it to the edges of the indentation, if necessary.
- Let the cookies cool completely right on the pan.